Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pakeezah - "Mausam Hai Ashiqana"

This is one of the two songs from the Hindi movie Pakeezah that is not based on a mujra. The song is intensely romantic and lyrical. Kamal Amrohi has written the lyrics himself and the song has been sung by Lata Mangeshkar. Meena Kumari does full justice to the song on the screen as the woman who has just realized that she has been rescued by the man of her dreams. The song and its translation follow.


Mausam Hain Aashikaanaa
Aye Dil Kahin Se Un Ko Aise Men Dhoondh Laana

Kehana Ke Rrut Jawaan Hai, Aur Ham Taras Rahe Hain
Kaali Ghata Ke Saaye, Birahan Ko Das Rahe Hain
Dar Hain Na Maar Daale, Saawan Ka Kya Thhikaana

Sooraj Kahin Bhi Jaaye, Tum Par Na Dhup Aaye
Tum Ko Pukaarate Hai, In Gesooon Ke Saaye
Aa Jaao Main Banaa Doo, Palakon Ka Shaamiyaana

Phirate Hain Ham Akele, Baaho Men Koi Lele
Aakhir Koi Kahan Tak, Tanahaeeyon Se Khele
Din Ho Gaye Hain Zaalim, Raate Hain Qatilaana

Ye Raat Ye Khaamoshee, Ye Khwaab Se Nazaare
Juganoo Hain Yaa Zameen Par, Utare Huye Hain Taare
Bekhwaab Meri Aankhe, Madahosh Hain Zamaana



Romance is in the air
My heart! Find my lover somewhere and bring him here

Tell him it’s the season of youth and I am longing for him
The dark clouds above are tormenting this lonely woman
I’m afraid the rains may well quench my desire

Let the sun be where it will, may you be protected from its rays
The shade of my long hair is calling you
Come and I will make for you a canopy with my eyelids

I am wandering alone, please take me in your arms
After all how long can one bear loneliness
The days are tortuous and the nights are fatal

Everything is dreamlike in the silence of the night
Are these fireflies or have the stars descended on earth
My eyes are dreamless and the world appears intoxicated


4 comments: