Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pakeezah - "Thade Rahiyo"

Hindi and Urdu song and poetry are full of flirtatious one upmanship between the lover and the loved. This mujra from Pakeezah is a perfect example. The girl waits night after night for lover to come. When he ultimately does so, she keeps him waiting at the door with one excuse or another.
chaandani raat badi der ke baad aai hai
ye mulaaqaat badi der ke baad aai hai
aaj ki raat vo aaye hain badi der ke baad
aaj ki raat badi der ke baad aai hai

thaade rahiyo o baanke yaar re

thaharo lagaay aaoon, nainon mein kajara
choti mein goond laaoon phoolon ka gajara
main to kar aaoon solah shrringaar re -thaade rahiyo...

jaage na koee, raina hai thodi
bole chhamaachham paayal nigodii
aji dheere se kholoongi dvaar re
saiyaan dheere se kholuungi dvaar re
main to chupake se
aji haule se kholuungi dwaar re
thaade rahiyo...

The moonlit night has come after a long time
This tryst has come after a long time
He has come very late tonight
This night has come after a long time

Keep waiting, you flirtatious lover

Wait till I apply kohl on my eyes
And I braid my plaits with flowers
I will complete the sixteen beauty embellishments
Keep waiting...

Everyone's asleep, the night is almost over
The sound of my damned anklet will wake everybody
I will open the door very slowly
My love I will open the door very slowly
Very silently
Very quietly I will open the door
Keep waiting...


What is left unsaid in the second verse is the key to understanding it. The implication is that if she runs to open the door then the anklets will tinkle and wake everyone. Hence she is constrained to move slowly. So the lover must wait.

18 comments:

  1. Excellent translation, Harsh Ji. Been listening to this song for as long as I can remember but it has to be said that your translation has provided a fresh new perspective that makes me appreciate it even more. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. If there is a song you are interested in please let me know and I will try and work on it asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Goldfields - wow, very well said mate👍 My sentiments exactly! @Harsh ji did indeed do a spectacular job at translating this amazing old song, with added context as well👍

      Delete
  3. i have heard this lot many times but this translation actually make me understand the essence of this song.... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job! What else can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful job! What else can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice translation.... SILK Packers and Movers

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry to say but Banke in hindi means young well built man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no. i rechecked. the dictionary meanings are bent, crooked, coquettish ....

      you have banke bihari for krishna

      you may have heard the song gori gori o banki chhori

      Delete
  8. Very useful for non Hindi speaking south indians.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! This song is absolutely beautiful - and the lyrics are beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear All ! Absolutely fantastic and brilliant. Its a matchless and beautiful. Thanks Muhammad Yunas Masood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear All ! Absolutely fantastic and brilliant. Its a matchless and beautiful. Thanks Muhammad Yunas Masood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i had given up on this. i accidentally checked back. nice to be appreciated. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to get translation. Adds flavor to the already melodious song.

    ReplyDelete